Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

As I sit and play with Adell, rock her, make her smile, and hold her hand, I think how great it would be if my mom could be here with me. How great it would be to have her here to see all the amazing things my little one is doing. How great it would be to see my mom tickle her toes and kiss her cheeks. How great it would be to have her put her arms around both of us and give us a great big hug. How great it would be!!
I think about how Adell could have gone trick or treating at Grandmas house or helped her smell the roses. I think about how Adell could have gone on walks with mom and picked wild flowers. I think about how Adell could have made birthday cakes and other special treats with my mom. I think about how Adell would have written her letters and painted her pictures.
I also wonder what my mom thought as she played with me, rocked me, made me smile and held my hand when I was a baby. Was she thinking the same things I do, like how amazing is this little girl, how sweet, how pure, how precious? Was she excited about even the silly little things like a giggle or the clapping of chubby little fingers? Was she anxious every time I had a cold? Was she prayerful as she held me in her arms and sang me to sleep? Was she in awe at the tiny miracle that was so peacefully sleeping?
Yes. I know she did all these things because I am doing them now with Adell.
I love my mother. I am so glad I get to be and hope to be a mother just like the one I had.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Know exactly how you feel! Sure have missed her this week.

First mothers day for you - you awesome first time mommy - bet you are missing mom like crazy.

Love you Kate! See you soon!

BeeP said...

What a beautiful post. I know she felt that way with us- exactly like we do with our kids. I've been thinking a lot about mom too. Love ya- Jen

Bekki said...

So, you made me cry. I feel the exact same way. Love you, great mommy!