Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Anniversary Trail

Katie and I decided to celebrate our first year anniversary in the wonderful outdoors. I have had the urge to go for a back pack trip with my lovely wife since we got married. She agreed after much convincing. I got a permission slip from Katie to allow us to miss the last two hours of church in order to have more time on Sunday to hike and have fun. YEAH! I'm not really always that anxious to miss church just sometimes.  (LOL). After church we hurried home having packed on Saturday all we had to do was get the gear into the truck and head out on our trip. I spotted out a wonderful area to go hiking in the Superstition Wilderness in the Tonto National Forest. Once we got to the Trailhead we put on our packs and started trekking. It was a bit tough to get accustomed to the packs and the weight. After about 3 miles of hiking we finally arrived at the designated area known as Oak Flats where about 3 trails converge and make an excellent camping spot. It also has a huge corral for horses or whatever kind of animals you want to keep in the corral. We were surprised at the diverse types of plants and animals we could see. We saw cactus amongst the large trees and pretty flowers. Also we saw many birds lizards ants and even a jackrabbit (Hoot Hoot to Mesa High). All the flowers and the cacti were in bloom with many wonderful colors to make the trip even that much more enjoyable.

We stayed two nights in our little camping spot. the first night was a bit chilly to say the least. The second day we planned for a chilly night and made wonderful preparations to stay warm and have a better night rest. During the second day we also had lots of fun playing card games chatting about the successes of our marriage and planning for our life together. We even got to play in the freezing cold water of the creek! Wow It was cold. Katie had to coerce me into the water by splashing me. The second night was much more pleasant with warm fires and hot rocks under neath our sleeping pads. Waking up the third day was a bit tough especially for me because a wonderful vacation was about to come to an end. I hate leaving wonderful times. So Sad. We packed up and headed out to the truck. 

Once at the truck we headed into Globe, Az to enjoy some yummy lunch at the infamous burger house. I also took the opportunity to visit with some fire fighter buddies I have in globe. then on to home we went.

We were both very anxious to enjoy warm showers and a soft bed. It was one spectacular trip!

3 comments:

Bekki said...

Welcome to the blog wagon! SO glad you jumped on. I love the commentary and I'm sure you will appreciate it in years to come!

Gina said...

YAHOO BLOGGERS! Kevin - you are the man! I really enjoyed hearing about your trip! Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad that you two found each other! You guys are soooo creative for a date! Way to go! How many !!! can I use?!? Love you guys! Keep blogging!

Kevin Kathleen and Adell Todd said...

Thank you Thank you!! hehe